Be Carefull with the MMO

Discuss the game with fellow players

Post 25 Mar 2013, 23:01

Re: Be Carefull with the MMO

Quality and do what you know what to do.

Post 26 Mar 2013, 04:42

good video..... and very true for the most part

Post 02 Apr 2013, 22:57

Here is a little personal pet peeve of mine: presenting correlation as causation. Now I wasn't in my prime video game playing years in 1985 (I just turned 1 as a matter of fact), but I do know my gaming history lessons, and I do also know there were really a lot more than just one reason for the BIG BADABOOM crash of 1983...

Aside from that there are tons of little things in the vid I could debate about the whole day, but I think the main concern is the 'producing filth for a quick buck'. It's true that some companies try to squeeze the most out of their customers at the lowest quality threshold as possible. But this is true regardless of the genre, online or offline, free to play or not, or even the gaming industry.

Now, I can say 'we won't do that!' and you have every right to disgard it as pretty PR speak or a marketing slogan. All I ask is that well, stick around and see what we are developing, before jumping to the conclusion that it is cheap, dirty filth just cause it's free 2 play, or an mmo.
We can't change the fact that there are free 2 play games out there that squeeze their players, or that there are mmo's that might be deemed subpar. But we CAN develop OUR game in to a free 2 play, mmo, that isn't cheap, dirty, filth. We have some self esteem too you know ;)
Code of Conduct --- Forum rules --- Website

--- Conquering the universe one post at a time ---

Post 04 Apr 2013, 18:55

eccy wrote:Here is a little personal pet peeve of mine: presenting correlation as causation. Now I wasn't in my prime video game playing years in 1985 (I just turned 1 as a matter of fact), but I do know my gaming history lessons, and I do also know there were really a lot more than just one reason for the BIG BADABOOM crash of 1983...

Aside from that there are tons of little things in the vid I could debate about the whole day, but I think the main concern is the 'producing filth for a quick buck'. It's true that some companies try to squeeze the most out of their customers at the lowest quality threshold as possible. But this is true regardless of the genre, online or offline, free to play or not, or even the gaming industry.

Now, I can say 'we won't do that!' and you have every right to disgard it as pretty PR speak or a marketing slogan. All I ask is that well, stick around and see what we are developing, before jumping to the conclusion that it is cheap, dirty filth just cause it's free 2 play, or an mmo.
We can't change the fact that there are free 2 play games out there that squeeze their players, or that there are mmo's that might be deemed subpar. But we CAN develop OUR game in to a free 2 play, mmo, that isn't cheap, dirty, filth. We have some self esteem too you know ;)

lol indeed eccy, and I think a lot of people will be following the progress of stargazer, though not everyone will be as active on the forums though... dont think you need to worry there :D

Post 06 Apr 2013, 09:26

As well experienced old hardcore gamer and profesional i warn too against online protections.
I like able play game offline and online.
For offline is best protection Starforce. But must be correct implemented. I speak with people from Starforce about their protection what can do. And only whole worl boycot Starforce is that, that is hardest to crack it. Many people say that block another programs but it is untrue. When i work over 7 years as customer support i tried have many cracked games and never have problem with correct work of SF protection.
Companies like EA, Ubisoft and others cry about game piracy on PC.
But there isn´t that big problem with piracy, but quality of products.

Perfect game every time make money back to developers, many people want support good game and can give donations. And best is have fans. Fans are core of every game.
Example look what fans able to do. Nexus 2 is back on start and is in development. If developers carefully listen game fans and make good thinking and make good game he will not fall.

Yes these times are hard and not clear if good game was success, but it is risk these days.
Many people saying me that space strategies are dead and nobody want them. Hm it is interesting when Sins of Solar empire make developing costs back in one month. :D

Im smile when big companies crying about piracy and how hard damage them. But only who damage them are they itself.

Perfect game that have loot of fans and when developers listen them, then fan try to never game fall. They not must care about piracy. Yes some piracy still persist, but hard punish them is non productive. But smart punish is good.

But yes, offcource online is very good protection.

But bevare use for online game Free to play, too much push players to pay for microtransaction heavenly damage game.
I play one game it is web based text/image game, but spent there over 80USD and mainly as option that game is interesting and as support to continue on work.

Many games that are marked as Free to play, aren´t true FtP but only demo. I hate it and stop play it.
You must find correct balance that dont harm unpaying players and that pleased players that want to invest in game.

For me i not like and not support game bussiness as show many companies. Yes developers need money for continue and for they work and make money for future project.
But cash harvest is terrible and i every time opposing it.

I hope that this post inspire you and hope that your game will be perfect. ;)

PS: sorry for my terryble english.

Post 07 Apr 2013, 06:05

Good post there Manfromstars, can totally understand where you are coming from for the most part, though I have to disagree with starforce, its a trashy protection and the reason why there has always been such a strong outcry for it is because it destroys hardware not because its hard to crack.

I would love for this game to be offline as well, but its just not the plan, because they have a development cycle in place, where they want to work on certain game content and release it, instead of having to wait 2 or 3 yrs for them to finish the game. I'll say it again though I do wish for it to be offline, if a game is "that" good, it doesn't matter about piracy, everyone will buy it anyway i mean just look at BF3 and Crysis as examples of this, if you produce a game that is just simply that good, it doesn't matter people are going to love it and buy it anyway. I think this game has a hell of a lot of potential, IF ITS DONE RIGHT. I got into the interactive tease trailer finally a few weeks ago, and the planet creation tools and planet surface stuff is very impressive consider that is literately, as bare bones tech as you are likely to see, so to imagine that in its final completion will be amazing to see.

Post 08 Apr 2013, 09:43

Novakiller, trust me Strarforce doning nothing to hardware. It is totaly hoax. Only one is true and that is realy best protection, that have crackers realy problem to kick it.
As i say i worked as support for many years, and test SF on 4 diferent computers, and play also many cracked games and tests. I am not work for Starforce company. But understand fully of both points of baricades.

With SF is only one implement problem many companies are totaly dumb and not used it with full potential and correct. Example Starfoce able make that ask you for original CD for 5 times and after that not ask you for inserted CD. Or can make be set first run need CD, second and third not and fourth again.

I know about some project that are try be friendly to usesrs and not use need to CD in drive and many pirates play that game. And that angry meis that these pirates are arogant and also ask official support for help. How can do be thiefs so that arogant?

And nobody that say about SF destroy his CDrom never aprove to win 10.OOO USD as SF give if is that true. And it is also crazy to do something because it liguidate SF company. And nobody want to stop his work. But many cracks and that sites have dangerous codes spywares and viruses.

In early games used protection manual and special informations when game ask you what is writern on page xxx and line x.

I also helped to software police to identify ilegal software and not understand why pirates copy and sell cheap games that cost around 10USD or fewer.

But as i say before piracy is not that big problem as many big companies say. But yes it is problem, but for me it is that same as weather. As game developer must be smart.

I start play games in 1985/6 and have full info how games are transformed.

For me is sad that there is no more paper manuals and some bonus materials.
I remember example for Amiga Wing Commander where i have plans of crafts on that you fly. It is amazing when somoe make that hard work and pain craft plants design. That i can put on wall as poster.
There is one example: http://static.wcnews.com/newestshots/fu ... nettop.png

But time is changed. :/ I want when games are back as some part of work of art. Rather perfect game with not that perfect graphic than perfect graphic and crapy and short game. But yes it is nice to see perfect graphic and perfect game. That is ideal. Example Skirim is beatiful country and game was good, but not that good as can be.

Post 02 Jun 2013, 18:39

Hey eccy :)

So I have been reading forums about Stargazer and like so many others have been waiting along time for a new version of the Imperium Galactica series :D . I downloaded the demo for IG Stargazer - not used to beginning demos - but I am so looking forward to something new in this game series . Will IG Stargazer be similar to IG 2 Alliances ? My wife and I have not been able to find any games as enjoyable as IG 2 has been - a one of a kind gem to say the least ! I understand it will be MMO based - no problem with that just wondering if it will be the same with empire and fleet building or will it take a different path ?
On a side note can Digital Reality do anything with the old version of IG 2 Alliances (while we wait for Stargazer to be finished) in the line of patches or updates that would make the game compatible with windows 7 and 8 and more stable on those platforms and lastly maybe a code to allow the game to be saved in multiplayer ? ? ?
Looking forward to IG Stargazer and will monitor its progress vigilantly - and hoping to have valuable input for the game !

(my apologies if this is the wrong thread) :(

Post 13 Jun 2013, 14:50

Hey MrThunder, thank you for your interest. :) We ask a little more patience, we are working on the new IG project at full steam.

MrThunder wrote: So I have been reading forums about Stargazer and like so many others have been waiting along time for a new version of the Imperium Galactica series :D . I downloaded the demo for IG Stargazer - not used to beginning demos - but I am so looking forward to something new in this game series . Will IG Stargazer be similar to IG 2 Alliances ? My wife and I have not been able to find any games as enjoyable as IG 2 has been - a one of a kind gem to say the least ! I understand it will be MMO based - no problem with that just wondering if it will be the same with empire and fleet building or will it take a different path ?
On a side note can Digital Reality do anything with the old version of IG 2 Alliances (while we wait for Stargazer to be finished) in the line of patches or updates that would make the game compatible with windows 7 and 8 and more stable on those platforms and lastly maybe a code to allow the game to be saved in multiplayer ? ? ?
Looking forward to IG Stargazer and will monitor its progress vigilantly - and hoping to have valuable input for the game !
(my apologies if this is the wrong thread) :(
Best regards,

Your forum staff
Previous

Return to Game Discussion